Holiday homes are always useful to own. If not for the pleasure of your family, then it can be also hired out or let; and the money received from it can be put to good use. Especially in today’s world, owning a holiday home will, at the very least, guarantee that you take a break from your busy schedule, even if it’s just to make sure your holiday home or let is in good condition. But renting out holiday homes isn’t that easy; you need to be experienced to do it well. If you’ve had to close your holiday home for the winter months, and are planning to reopen it for the summer, then here are a few tips for you.
- Hire services – be it that it’s a maid service, cleaning service or a gardening service; if it means you can pay someone to do the work and get it done right, then go for it! If you’re not in the area when they’ll be working in your home, make sure to have someone you trust present, or to use a very reliable service for it.
- Restock – run through all the food in the kitchen and the emergency supplies in the first-aid box. Throw away all the expired products and make a note of it. Replace them with newer ones, and refill those that have emptied.
- Pay attention to the filters – be it that it’s the water filter systems Australia or the coffee machine filter, it’s always best to check if it needs replacement. Have an emergency replacement at hand always, in case your guests will need it.
- Check the electronics – if not used in a while, electronics tend to get wasted and glitchy. Check them out to make sure they are still in usable condition. It might be the TV, the fridge, microwave or even the air conditioning unit; it’s always best checking them out.
- Check the batteries – most people tend to forget to remove batteries off appliances when shutting a house down for winter. Check them to make sure they need not be replaced or even if they’re misplaced. Don’t forget to check the fire alarms and the burglar alarms too…!
- Clean out the pool and hot tub – if your holiday home has these, then the months of disuse might have left them a little off shape. Get them professionally cleaned, and check if you need to replace the spa filters of your hot tub.
- Professionally vacuum – even if you’ve spread dust proof sheets over your mattresses and sofas, months of dust collecting on top of it, and the musty smell of having a home closed can have an effect on them. Consider getting it professionally vacuumed so they are refreshed and ready to use. It’s also a great idea to have your sheets and drapes dry cleaned…